Local History Gallery
The first of our two permanent exhibits, the Local History Gallery guides visitors through a multi-layered chronology of the Harbor Springs region. Using text, photographs and artifacts, this gallery celebrates the various chapters in our history beginning with the Odawa Indians and concluding with a look at the post-World War II community and the emergence of the ski industry. Harbor Springs' traditions throughout history are featured in the Celebrations exhibit which includes images of parades, regattas, the natural landscape and, of course, Fourth of July fireworks.
The Discovery Gallery is the second of our permanent exhibit spaces and is filled with hands-on activities for children and their families or teachers. Organized around four people from the area's history, visitors of all ages will learn more about inventor Ephraim Shay, postmaster Chief Andrew J. Blackbird, light keeper Elizabeth Whitney Williams and merchant Rose Rosenthal. Ships, trains and a fishing shanty offer guided interactives that are sure to delight.
The West Vault was added to the former city hall building prior to 1896. The West Vault currently features a display of Native American quill boxes.
We are currently working on a project to reconfigure the East Vault space and turn it into a space for recording oral histories. Our "Voice from the Vault" project will be completed in the summer of 2015 so be sure to stop by and check it out.
North and Main Galleries
Serving as the museum's temporary exhibit spaces, the Main and North galleries host both traveling exhibits and temporary exhibits from the HSAHS collection. Be sure to visit our temporary exhibits page to learn more.